Sunday, July 25, 2010

Exposure metering of the D300

One thing I have started to really like on the D300 is its ability to meter with the old lenses. I have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AIS manual focus lens, and I like using it with an extension tube for better than 1:1 macro photography.

When the 50mm lens is fitted on a D80, I have no clue what shutter speed to use to properly expose the sensor to the subject. I would shoot in manual mode, guessing what shutter speed to use. I would also have to turn the built-in flash to manual mode as well. The whole setup of shooting small insect this way is too cumbersome and I may not have the chance to shoot the bug a second or third time. The D300 however can meter the light required for perfect exposure. The built-in flash or pop-up flash just work. The D300 does all the work for you so all you have to worry about is concentrate on the subject, compose, and shoot. Nice, D300.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.