Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The street reporter

I have not posted anything for a while but I have been out there shooting.  Sometimes, it's lugging my two DSLRs around, and sometimes, it's just--wait a second, something just dawned on me ... did I miss the Henry's Exposure photo show this fall or maybe they cut the show down to only one per year--about running into something interesting while biking around.  And for that, I need something light, like my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 that I purchased a while ago for $70.  The built-in telephoto lens on this camera is perfect for the ride-about that I do from time to time or the ride to work that I do everyday.

Just yesterday, I ran across an area cordoned off by police.  It was on my usual, daily bike route.  Some car was pulled over earlier in the day (apparently not by random chance) and some small explosive was found in a gym bag in the trunk.  The event had already unfolded by the time I got there but I got a glimpse of the scene.  It would have been more interesting had I witnessed the detonation of the explosive that the police had set off--well, maybe they would have cordoned off a bigger area so I might not have been able to capture anything then.  Anyways, I feel like an amateur street reporter with a cheap camera on hand.

It's almost 8am.  I gotta start preparing to go to work.

4 comments:

  1. So you now pack your Lumix everywhere you go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the Lumix is very light so it's in my backpack virtually everyday. The only time that I don't carry it around is when I go out with a specific purpose--I'd carry the two DSLRs instead--or when I do grocery shopping and need all the space I have in the backpack for food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then you should get a Smartphone with a real good camera - like the HTC One. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean the HTC Titan II with a 16MP camera or Nokia's 41MP camera phone? Those are crazy numbers for phones.

    ReplyDelete

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.