Sunday, November 11, 2012

Wireless triggers, CT-04, part II

For the first time, I was shooting portraits manually and putting an untested faith in the setup.  For the wedding yesterday, we had a photo shoot at home.  That was my first real use of the Neewer CT-04 trigger / 3 receivers.  This trigger / receiver combination worked fine.  It was simple to set up.  Because the light came from my flashguns only and not from the pop-up flash, I had to use my camera in manual mode.  I fixed the wireless trigger on the hot shoe of the camera.  On the receiver side, I used all the receivers.  I set up two umbrellas about a couple of metres in front on either side of the subjects.  The right umbrella has my Nikon SB-900 flashgun on manual mode at full power whereas the left has my Nikon SB-800 on manual mode at half power.  I placed one SB-25 in the background against the wall.  It was by no way a perfect setup.  I have no light meter so I had to guess the f-stop and had to take a number of shots to test the exposure.  Once I had a setting that worked (by visually inspecting test shots), I kept it for the duration of the shoot.  The light exposure was consistent but whenever I shoot too quick, neither flashgun was fast enough to recharge themselves so I got a couple of black pictures.  Also, as long as I keep shooting the CT-04 receivers will happily stay online.  I am not sure how long but if I stop shooting the receivers will go into power saving mode and wake up on one trigger.  That was not a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.