Saturday, October 24, 2009

50mm f/1.8E

I once owned a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and sold it to a student of arts. Well, after a friend showed how his camera was able to capture a billion more stars than my camera could on a camping trip to Cyprus Lake, I decided to get back one of those 50mm f/1.8!

I found on craigslist an old 50mm f/1.8E version. This is one of the original 50mm Nikkor made. I wanted it and knew how I would use it. During the day, my faithful 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 is still my primary lens but from time to time, when I need to shoot in the dark, the 50mm f/1.8 will be it.

So tonight, when I drove out to the Waterdown Falls, I made good with this 50mm lens.

I first shot with my expensive 18-200mm lens. The image came out too dark to work with. I could not make out anything in the image viewed on the LCD. Just not enough light.

I then remembered I brought the 50mm along. After swapping the lenses, I re-shot the pictures. I knew I could not get the same wide angle shots but at least, I would not have wasted the fuel and time driving out there.

Here was the result, colour-adjusted:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.