Saturday, June 27, 2009

Stofen or Lightsphere?

My SB-800 speedlight came with a diffuser dome. When I bought it a couple of years ago, I did not know the Stofen omni-bounce is virtually the same as the diffuser dome. I got curious now, after building my DYI Lightsphere. I was curious to know if the Stofen is better or worse than my DYI Lightsphere.

So, I took a few shots inside my room. The diffuser dome was angled straight up and at 45 degrees. The DYI Lightsphere pointed straight up.

When the diffuser dome was angled at 45 degrees, it created fairly sharp and dark shadows. Everything that was lit was bright. My blue wall looked a little washed out, but this is definitely better than shooting without the diffuser dome.

When pointed straight up, the dome created softer shadows, and the blue of the wall was bluer than the first shot.

With the DYI Lightsphere, the shadows are much softer still, and the blue of the wall has a similar tone as the blue of the second shot.

From the few shots I took, it looks like the DYI Lightsphere would create a more pleasing photo than the diffuser dome. However, my DYI Lightsphere is much bigger than the diffuser dome. When I go to a wedding this July, I would like to bring my DYI Lightsphere. However, it looks ugly and is clumsy to carry it around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.