Monday, October 20, 2008

Constant aperture zoom lens

Recently, I ran into a sale of a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens. I was very tempted to buy it but upon reviewing other people's experience with the lens, I was left a little confused. Many people claim that at the widest aperture, images are a little soft -- which is true of virtually every lens out there. They claim that you really need to shoot at f4 to f16 to get tack sharp pictures.

So, what does that mean then? I want to buy a fast lens but I have to stop it down if I want sharp pictures. How is that better than my Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 VRII? With VRII, I can gain 2 f-stops. So, I guess before I buy it, I need to get my hand on a test lens or someone can do a comparison between these lenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.