Saturday, May 30, 2015

Me and rain

There is something about me and the rain.  I love it.  There is a feeling of childhood fun when you go biking in the rain, knowing that when you get home, you'll be able to just wash away all the dirt splashed all over you.  There is something else about it that makes it fun for photography.  I don't know what it is but I tend to go into a shooting frenzy head on in the craziest downpour.  I'd be out there with my D7000 and getting my lens all wet to the point I can't shoot anymore--either because of condensation in the lens or the D7000 starts to behave erratically.  Yeah, I'm crazy with rain.  So today was no exception.  The PanAm game will start in less than a couple of months and the torch has arrived in Toronto.  Unfortunately, today was also the first day of heavy downpour.  The month of May has been so dry that this downpour is a big welcome I think for farmers in the area.  And for me.  It was fun standing in the rain with my motorcycle rain jacket.  It protected me from the rain and the wind.  I got wet anyway but the jacket kept me warm as I rode my bicycle down the streets, following the torch bearers.  It was also fun to use my cell phone to take pictures.  I had a thought that maybe I'd ruin it if I persist shooting it in the rain.  It was clearly drenched in water all over it but I kept shooting.  Stupid me.  I will never learn.  I kept shooting knowing full well the phone will die.  Well, it didn't die but it was starting to behave erratically too and the camera lens inside the phone stared to fog up.  Great, I thought.  Another Nova Scotia.  It managed to clear itself up, but I kept shooting in the rain.  I should have stopped using it and wait for the big moment to take the phone out.  I should have.  I should have done that.  It was a big mistake to chance it.  The biggest moment came when Chris Hadfield arrived at the Distillery District on the last leg of the torch run from Canada Square to the Distillery District.  The video was fuzzy with a damn layer of fog in front of the lens!  What an idiot I was.  Oh well, me and rain, it's a love and hate relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Invasion of What?

What are these bugs? I've never seen them before. I saw them at my parents' place the other day. Lots of them in soil or grassy areas.